Saturday, October 24, 2015

If you think that TV makes you stupid, I have a proposition for you … – Spider’s Web

I am writing this text back from London, where I had the opportunity to attend the premiere of a new series of National Geographic, which you can read with us soon. Travelling reflection occurred to me that I very much regret that I will not have the opportunity to watch all the episodes, because 5 years do not watch TV. And it’s not like it’s the best solution in the world.

It seems to me that nowadays more people give up television for reasons purely ideological (and at least for some wydumanej ideology) than having had real arguments. Same with TV “gave up” almost exactly five years ago. There was behind this, however, no contradiction, the desire to break away from “stultifying” box, none of these things. It was a pure pragmatism.

I moved to a new city to study, rented boardinghouse – TV there simply was not there, and I, as a young student, really there was no way for him to spend the money. The monthly payment of subscription will not mention.

But it took five years and I still do not have a flat TV. I would say that TV does not miss, but rozminąłbym from the truth. I think in fact that I see more disadvantages than advantages to abandon television. Here’s why:

TV makes you stupid? This check your browser history.

It is customary to say that television makes you stupid. That served us morons watching by television channels nonsense. As if that were not enough, television does not give us any choice after all! We can only decide on stupid things, stupid and videos interspersed with long mercilessly ads. And all films are usually let go just bad and nothing of value in this television does not exist.

We believe the Internet for the creation surpassing television in terms of availability of content, but looking at what kind of content on the Web are the most popular, all We do not use this available in an appropriate manner. We feed our brains all kinds of crap that cause our gray cells not less damage than another episode of “difficult cases”, “Memoirs of Holidays” or other para-documents, doing the people water from what they have between the ears.



On television, there is nothing to watch? Think again.

Nonsense. If you have to choose 100+ channels and continues to say that “nothing there”, it means that either wrong’re looking for, or have a really specific interests and requirements. The truth is that there is at least a couple of television stations that serve or valuable entertainment, or content that really educate or at least perform “grassroots work” in many areas.

When I go on a weekend for parents whether in-laws and in their turn on the TV, I see clearly what I was missing on the Internet, and what guarantees me a TV. Great journalism in the form of video (this still is not enough Network). Thematic channels (history, automotive) with consistent content. Access to many series, which due to the weakness of Polish VOD have no chance of legally seen on the Internet.

But the most I lack the channels the likes of National Geographic and Discovery, which especially the first probably never let me down when it comes about interesting programs. Whether talking about the natural program commented by Krystyna Czubówna (or other teachers with an equally calm voice), or talk about a historical program, automotive, zahaczającym of astronomy, or any other field – usually the content is valuable and educating. Even if it is not strictly my concern is always something out of it are, expanding their general knowledge.

Meanwhile, the Internet rather never reach for topics that do not interest me directly. This leads me to the second factor, which makes the often miss TV:

Television = limited selection.

However, tricky it may sound, limiting the choice is sometimes best that can be befall a man. Of course, so will always have access to everything – which guarantees me the Internet – but the infinite source of information is equally infinite garbage.

It is much easier to pick out something worthwhile having the choice to write a number-set TV channels, than having available bottomless abyss internet. Yes, I know that it all comes down to proper selection of sources on the Web. Pretty good deal with this advise. But I am also aware that such a huge freedom of choice for all intents and makes the … often do not know what I choose. In this way, stray from page to page, without sacrificing any of them special attention and valuable content to slip sometimes sideways, unnoticed.

I’m sure that I’m not in this experiment isolated, and anyone who strayed in the depths of the Internet, he feels at this point, although a little bit of empathy.

The TV is much easier to select what is worth watching. Not interested in news – we are not watching. We do not like para-papers – do not we look for channels that serve them. And thanks to the fact that television gives us a finite number of options, it is much easier to find something that interested us. Even if you are not always obvious choices.



TV usually does not exceed the boundaries of good taste.

I deliberately wrote “usually” because it is known that there are exceptions, and sometimes even on television, despite all the cultural adjustment happen to see something that you would prefer never to see.

But this is nothing compared to the Internet, where there are practically no day, no hour to not hit on something that most never I did not see. And yet, I usually just fire up Facebook to find, completely by chance, something that makes you doubt mankind.

I do not think that such contents are also needed. No, I do not need “to diversify sources” in the form of a cutscene like someone abusing a cat, undressing in a public place or doing any other things that you can imagine (because eventually the Internet is literally everything, recently I came up for a guide for hyenas cemetery. On YouTube.).

No one has shown me such things every day, I was aware of their existence. And here TV, contrary to appearances, doing a very good job segregation of the viewer from the content of the world simply unpalatable. Even if the TV news constantly nourished by the tragedies and accidents from all over the world, it is only a result of demand-supply relationship. Hunger sensation, so we get a sensation. But never the sensation does not smacks of violating some fundamental principles of morality.

Internet such resistance is not.



Do not go back to TV in the near future, but swears that it never will take place.

My reluctance to return at this stage of my life stems from a slightly different motivation – lack of time and a simple economic calculation. Why should I spend money on a TV license when complete lack of time for me to see it? At the moment I’m happy when taking the weekend off I can get at home parents turn black box per hour / two.

Do not swear, however, that television is evil, and never in my life been to her will not go back. Or that I’m happier without it somehow / richer or poorer. The Internet offers me basically the same thing, the same wealth of content, similar opportunities.

Giving up TV only ostensibly gives us more time. We tell ourselves, “I do not watch TV, so I have more time for books / O with friends / yoga lessons,” etc. Sometimes someone might actually are successful. But I think they just fooling themselves, because they saved on nieoglądaniu television wasting time on the Internet.

Giving up TV is only superficially the same advantages. In practice, much more move drawbacks old media to new, themselves choosing the same poison – wasting time, except that staring into another box, or screen smartphone.

Good over this think about it again wypniesz chest proudly proclaiming “I do not watch TV”.

* Graphics: Shutterstock

->

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...